Renee Gary (pictured in green) tending one of the gardens at Fricassee Cafe
If you're looking for down-home charm, make the drive over to Carencro and get to know Renee Gary and what she's cooking in the kitchen of Fricassee Cafe & Bakery. If you're looking for her favorite boudin or place to hangout, look no further than this week's Friday 5.
1. Guilty Pleasure - My new guilty pleasure is Indulge. I enjoy the sights and sounds and, most definitely, the beautiful and tasty array of desserts!
2. Best Boudin - Eddie and I always stop off at the Scott exit when headed west on I-10 to visit our dear friends at Don's Specialty Meats. They have our all time favorite boudin. Plus, the added bonus of being able to pack up a bundle of Cajun foods and specialty meats for our friends to the west is a huge bonus!
3. Dining Solo - I don't often have the opportunity to dine solo, but I will let you in a little secret of mine. I am often on the Southside of Lafayette running errands and I always run into Chipotle and I feel quite comfortable in their chic, little dining area. When I lived on the East Coast, Chipotle was a favorite spot for my family. We are so excited to have them in Lafayette! Their commitment to fresh and healthy choices, such as hormone free meats, is admirable!
4. Date Night - Date night is a quandary for Ed and me. With so many choices in Lafayette, Eddie and I tend to be more on the traditional side and choose some of Lafayette's oldest and greatest! Our first date was at Don's Seafood Hut on Johnston. We love to eat oysters and sit in the bar and visit here! But for more intimate evenings, we are so fortunate to have our old favorites such as Charley G's and of course, Ruth's Chris!
5. Neighborhood Hangout - Our favorite hangout now, of course, is in the gardens here at Fricassee Cafe! We love to sit and watch people enjoy what we have created. Not just the food but the spaces, the trees, the gardens and animals!