It's 5 o'clock somewhere in this week's Friday 5. David Meaux is the founder and distiller of Acadiana's first fully licensed rum distillery, Rank Wildcat Spirits. Their award-winning small-batch white rum, Sweet Crude Rum, is produced using sugar cane grown right here in Acadiana. The lawyer turned land-man turn distiller's current goal is to make Sweet Crude Rum and their even smaller batch (only 588 bottles produced in its first batch) Black Gold Rum household names.
1. Eating on the Cheap- If I want a great meal for under $10 bucks, I can't beat the gyro sandwich meal at Athena's Greek and Lebanese. Especially the Martial location, which is very close to home!
2. Introducing Lafayette to Out of Towners- Why, my very own distillery, of course! (Visit us HERE). Then, take them to see my friends at the Bayou Teche Brewing and Parish Brewing Company breweries to get a good taste of what Acadiana has to offer!
3. Date Night- Zea's. Great and diverse menu with something for everyone!
4. Late Night Hangout- The Green Room is my default. Especially when I need my shuffleboard fix!
5. Specialty Cocktails- The Death Valley at Hook 'n Boil in Broussard. It's made with Sweet Crude Rum!